As readers of Raging Chicken Press already know, we launched a fundraising drive at the beginning of February. Originally, the drive was going to run for 100 days, but I’ve decided to extend the drive right up to the first anniversary of our first issue. The fundraising drive will now run through the end of June. We are attempting to raise $25,000. Yes, that’s what I said, $25,000. I’ve gone back and forth as to whether I should even try to raise this kind of money at this point. It’s a lot of money, I know. But, here’s the deal. I’ve said from the very beginning that I am building Raging Chicken Press for the long haul and I intend on building it in away that is both realistic and sustainable. Here is a partial list of our goals for the near future:
- Annual Best of Raging Chicken paperback book and eBook, featuring the best articles of the year. Ideally, we can have the first edition ready for our one year anniversary in July.
- Three paid internships a year: 1) a fall internship on issues in PA public and higher education; 2) a spring issue focusing on PA policy and budget issues; and, 3) a summer internship on PA environment and sustainability.
- “Broadside” editions of each issue of Raging Chicken Press to be distributed to regional coffeehouses, bars, hangouts, etc.
- Annual presence at the PA Progressive Summit and Netroots Nation.
- Payment for contributors to Raging Chicken Press based upon similar progressive publications’ payment structures.
- Press passes for Raging Chicken Press reporters.
- Promotional materials including a banner, fliers, and Raging Chicken Press swag.
- Shifting t-shirt sales from our Zazzle.com store to locally produced, union printers (the issue here is that in print t-shirts locally in unionized shops, we need to buy larger quantities of shirts and to keep stock on-hand. Buying large numbers of shirts is a chunk of change).
- Establishing a brick-and-mortar presence on Main Street (or close to it) in Kutztown as a base of operations, meeting space, and store front for t-shirts, buttons, posters, books, and other progressive materials.
In short, with your help we can build a progressive, activist media site that can serve progressive, activist communities in a concrete, material way.
But, we need your help to make this happen. Here are three ways you can help:
I. Contribute to our fundraising drive
The best thing you can do is contribute to our fundraising drive. Visit our WePay fundraising page and check out the special gifts we are offering for different levels of giving. But you don’t need to give at any of the suggested levels. You can give as little as $2 or $5. That may not sound like much, but if a lot of people give a small amount, it adds up quickly. You could also get together with a group of friends and each kick in a couple of bucks and donate as a group. Every little bit helps! We have a pretty lean operation now, but to build Raging Chicken Press into an effective progressive media site, we need more than the will power of a couple of people. You can contribute to our fundraising drive right here:
II. Shop using our affiliate programs
On the right-hand side of our site, you will see search boxes for several sites including Amazon.com, Indie Bookstores, and Equal Exchange Fair Trade Coffee. By clicking on these links or using the search boxes on our site, Raging Chicken Press will receive between 5% and 10% of everything you buy. And, here’s the best thing: it doesn’t cost you a penny more! That is, your shopping experience will be the same as if you went directly to the site. So, if buy at $25 book on Amazon, for example, Raging Chicken Press will get about $1.60 from Amazon. Better yet, use the Indie Bookstore link and buy from independent local bookstores! And better still, after you click on one of the links, save the link to your browser’s bookmarks or favorites and use that link every time you shop.
At the top of our page you will see a link for our on-line store on Zazzle.com. We have a whole lot stuff ranging from t-shirts to buttons to bumper stickers. All designs are only available in our store and all purchases directly support Raging Chicken Press. So, pick up a progressive t-shirt or bumper sticker to sport through the 2012 election season and help support independent, activist media at the same time. Before you buy, check out the Zazzle.com coupon page. I mean, where else can you get cool designs like this?
OK, I’ll stop the pitch. Just one last thing. I think that Raging Chicken Press can do some amazing things for progressive, activist media for PA and beyond. But we need your help. Can you help?
Editor Zero, Raging Chicken Press